Performers on quarter step intervals

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
jonearl

Performers on quarter step intervals

Post by jonearl »

Brand new to Envision and struggling to put performers directly on the grid. For example, when I place a performer on what I believe is the front hash, it will say their dot is .25 BH FH and .50 outside 45. I can't seem to find something that will allow me to put everyone at exact 1 step intervals such as 1 off, 2 off, 4 inside. Everything is a decimal. Any way I can fix this?
William

Re: Performers on quarter step intervals

Post by William »

Hi jonearl,

There are a couple things that could be going on here.

1. First you should check that the "Snap to Grid" toggle is enabled. This allows you to switch between snapping and free-form placement.
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 12.17.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 12.17.21 PM.png (167.22 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
2. You can also tune the snapping to your liking from the Edit menu
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 12.16.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 12.16.54 PM.png (980.24 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
3. The Canvas type and grid also have several options that can affect the placement of performers.
a) The "Perfect" fields are designed to align with the grid at the expense of realism. for example, on the High School Football field, the major grid for the front hash is 0.5 steps in front of the Front Hash, but the "Perfect HS" field shortens the field so that it fits exactly with the grid.
b) The grid itself can be adjusted in its size and position relative to major features such as the front sideline or the front hash. See the "Align" options in the Grid section of the Canvas editor.

It seems likely to me that you are experiencing #3.a and enjoying the fact that the standard 8 to 5 marching grid doesn't perfectly align with standard football field measurements.

Let me know if you need clarification on anything.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com