Halt/Subset Causing Instability

Report bugs or glitches here.
narcofis

Halt/Subset Causing Instability

Post by narcofis »

I'm always fearful to create a halt set because it seems to crash the application almost everytime. It is a repeatable bug. I usually convert the halt set, save and restart the application to make sure I don't crash.

Steps I take.
Convert to subset, then halt set
Sometimes I can play a set 1-2 times do some work and when I'm about to play again it crashes.

You did a fix before in another release that partially fixed the bug where before it was always crashing if you played the set right after the conversion to a halt set. This is not the case but it probably is related since it happens a little farther down the chain.

Note this is intermittent. Sometime I am able to convert a halt set and successfully continue but I suspect this is the reason I crash the program later on. When I use the program and never transfor a set to a halt set I never crash.

Hope this helps. My latest crash was on 11/15 with the latest version. I tend not to send the report because it's buggy to do so. When you send a report it takes forever for the recovery file to come up and it is also how I corrupt the configuration file everytime.
Narcofis
William

Re: Halt/Subset Causing Instability

Post by William »

Hi narcofis,

Thank you for the detailed report and sorry for the slow reply. I have been contemplating this issue and trying to determine the root cause.

Unfortunately at this time the issue is still at large and I am having a hard time reproducing it. I'd like to ask you a couple questions to see if there could be any other contributing factors.

1. Do you use other functionality that changes subsets of performers? Such as the Switch tool or Path Mode or Revert tool? In particular, I did just fix an issue relating to use of the Switch Performer tool that could have definitely had an impact in this area.
2.When does the crash happen? Is it the same every time? i.e. Does it crash when you press play or when you are just moving around working normally? If you can come up with a way to make it crash every time then that would really help narrow it down.

As for sending the report possibly causing the corrupt configuration that is also a very good hint. Just to be clear, you load the auto_saved file after you send the report and this causes the configuration to be corrupted? I'd like to put this bug to rest asap.

Thank you again very much.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com