Adding Performers to existing drill

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
bdrumsanchez

Adding Performers to existing drill

Post by bdrumsanchez »

I am writing a simple drill for my band and need to add a couple of kids that came in late to my class. When I use the Add Performer tool it puts the performers in the upper left hand corner of the canvas. When I grad the individual performers to place them in the 1st set it behaves as if their first set is in the upper left hand corner. In other words, there is a path line from the upper left hand corner to the position that I place them in for set 1. I need to be able to grab them, position them in Set 1 and start working from there. How do you do that?
William

Re: Adding Performers to existing drill

Post by William »

Hi bdrumsanchez,

Yes this is a fairly common scenario. The solution is a liberal use of the "Revert" tool. If you are not familiar the revert tool allows you to "revert" the position of the selected performers back to a previous set, effectively creating a "hold" for those members over the selected range.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.59.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.59.34 PM.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 11450 times
Here are the steps to do what you want:
  • Select the new performers that you want to stay in one spot.
  • Move the current set to the very end of the show.
  • Select the Revert tool from the toolbar or from the Performer Menu. When you do this, the Blue and Purple timeline markers will be set to the current set (purple) and the previous set or subset (blue). This is the range over which your selected performers will be reverted.
  • Move the blue timeline marker (drag it) all the way to the first set where you have already set your performer positions. You can also do this by pressing the `<-` button in the Tool panel.
  • Press "Perform Revert" and you are done! The performers you selected will now have the same position all the way through the show and you can write from there.
Note that the performers won't update every set automatically so you will have to use some combination of manual movement periodically reverting the performers over a number of sets to keep you moving forward.

I hope that explanation was clear enough. Let me know if you need any more details.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
bdrumsanchez

Post by bdrumsanchez »

Thanks. A bit tedious but works! To be clear, I cannot create a new performer and place at first set without having to use the revert tool?
William

Post by William »

You can move the performers manually of course, the same way you would move them any other time. But as you mentioned, this defaults the performer to be at the back of the field for every set of the show until you change it.

In fact the revert tool will only work if you first move the performer at the first set to where you want them to start. So to be clear, the performer won't automatically update set to set as you are writing them into the show, you will need to edit them on every set.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
bdrumsanchez

Post by bdrumsanchez »

Thanks. Your explanation was very helpful. Getting it done now!