Silly Questions

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
DavidCKGMHS

Silly Questions

Post by DavidCKGMHS »

Hey guys, new user here. I've been watching the tutorials and been learning a lot from them as well as just experimenting.

I'm trying to figure out a few things though:

How can I change the tempo? I am slightly familiar with the "step timing" tool, but there are lots of tempo changes in our music/show. When I used the sync music tool, it only recognized "one" tempo.

How do I add or subtract counts from a set? The default seems to be 8. If I create some sets without music the default seems to be 8 I should say. When I use the sync music tool its fairly consistent with the current counts, if the tempo is correct.

I'm really enjoying the software. There are definitely a lot of great user friendly benefits. I've only spent about 8 hours thus far goofing around and I feel fairly good about the process and program.
box5Nick

Re: Silly Questions

Post by box5Nick »

You can change the number of counts in any given set using the "Set Properties" tool in the top most tool bar. If you are using sync music you will not be able to change the tempo since that would change where on the timeline that set would land, but you can adjust the counts which will in turn re adjust the tempo.

You can also access set properties by double clicking on the set marker in the timeline panel at the bottom.

Hope that helps. Glad to hear you are enjoying your experience and let us know if this smooths things out for you.
DavidCKGMHS

Post by DavidCKGMHS »

Thank you for the reply Nick. I was able to figure it out and make my appropriate adjustments, and have found another couple of questions!

1. I'm not sure if this is a bug or something, but I have a couple of performers who go "Off the radar" for a few counts in a couple sets... But now, they're almost not functioning at all (about 2 sets later). If I'm trying to select them, they move 20 yards away and their figure disappears, but the red ring is still in that "new spot". When I then try to make a new dot or adjust their dot, I can move the ring to the desired area, but the figure is somewhere completely different. This is only effecting 2 or 3 performers right now, but it only has happened around the 5/6th set of the movement. I can't continue with them at this rate. Should I delete the performers and add new ones?

2. How do I handle mixed meter? If I'm trying to incorporate one "drag" count or dotted quarter note into a set... We have 4/8, 9/8, 4/8, 3/8, 5/8 so the figure would be qtr- qtr, dotted qtr-dotted qtr-dotted qtr, qtr-qtr, dotted qtr, qtr-dotted qtr. Wow does that look complicated?
William

Post by William »

Hi David,

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can:

1. Figures going off the radar.
-You should try using the Revert Performer Tool with step-through selected. You can select a range of sets that cover all the sets that they are going wonky. You will have to re-write the drill for these sets but the performers should be back to behaving normally. If this doesn't work then deleting them and re-creating them may be the way to go.

2. Mixed meter
-There is currently no way to do this(easily). You can choose a straight tempo that is different from the regular tempo from the Performance Detail tool but there is no way to create mixed meter over a single set with a single performer. If you reaaaaaaaly wanted to you could create a separate set for your drag count but that would pretty much defeat the purpose.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
DavidCKGMHS

Post by DavidCKGMHS »

Thanks William, so is it possible to delete performers starting at say "Set 12" and add new performers on set 12 again? Or once I delete them, they're gone from the whole production?

Alright, the mixed meter thing sounds a little out of my league. Luckily our plan is to mostly stand still and do some body and slight staging so I guess the drag counts are not critical.
box5Nick

Post by box5Nick »

Deleting a performer will remove them from the entire production, so that won't work here (also be sure to save each production with a new name. Updates to this file structure are coming but not quite ready yet). What we suggest trying is this:

1) select the performers in question.
2) move the black triangle in the timeline to the end of your current sets (or to where the performers stop being troublesome)
3) select the "revert performer" tool from the top bar.
4) move the blue arrow in the timeline window to a set before they started causing problems.
5) make sure "Step Through" is selected under revert type.
6) hit "Perform Revert"

As Will said, this will wipe out set data for these performers on those sets, but it should stop the weirdness. Also, be sure that the follow cam is not enabled. This is the last toggle in the toggle bar and can cause navigation problems if trying to move performers around.

Also, be sure to check out our youtube channel for tips and tutorials to get you going fast. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
DavidCKGMHS

Post by DavidCKGMHS »

Hi Guys,

David here again and its been a while. But I'm definitely knee deep in drill now.

So I'm at the mixed meter portion mentioned above and I tried doing the "Straight time" thing mentioned above. Luckily for us, we're doing body or are halted for the majority of said mixed meter. However, the "Tempo" automatically selected by the program jumps to 300bpm. I've experimented with the counts and I've found an approximately proper number of counts according to the computers selected tempo. Of course I can only adjust counts and not tempo. But at the end of the phrase when it gets back into normal metering the timing is all wonky now.

I added a subset equivalent to 39 straight counts as well to add the "Halt" and the set ends with 8 counts of straight/normal time. But the tempo still reflects 300bpm when it returns to normal/straight time.

So other than this, I'm cruising right along considering my newbie status! Lucky for me as well the opener is the longest and most complex regarding music.

Thanks all for your help!
William

Post by William »

Hi David,

I'm not quite sure I understand but I will give it my best shot.

When you sync to music EnVision automatically calculates the tempo based on how many counts there are in the set and how far apart the set markers are. For example, if you have set 1 at 0:01 and set 2 at 0:09 and there are 8 counts in there then your tempo would be 60bpm. 9-1 = 8 seconds, 8 counts / 8 seconds = 1ct/s. Multiply that by 60 because there are 60 seconds in a minute and you get 60 bpm.

Anyway, you should know how many counts are in a particular segment and change that set to have that many counts. If the segment you are working with has different time signatures but the same tempo the whole time this should work. If your tempo is changing over that time then you may have some issues. If this is the case then I recommend breaking this section up into smaller sections with sets on tempo changes. Note that the tempo doesn't change over subsets, it can only change on set boundaries.

Also remember that counts belong to the previous set. i.e. If you want to change the number of counts for the area between set 3 and set 4 you have to set the counts on set 3. So if your tempo is still at 300bpm at the normal time (after set 4 for example) then make sure you are setting the appropriate counts for that set 4.

If none of what I have mentioned above has helped you then it's possible you have come across a bug. In that case you can email me at wlee@box5software.com and I can possibly help you walk through some solutions. If you want to send me your drill file that is acting strangely then that could help diagnose the issue.

I hope this has been helpful! Let me know if I can do anything else.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com