Syncing music

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
matthew

Syncing music

Post by matthew »

I'm a new user, but I'm not a fan of the sync music options, thus far--I can't get anything to line up properly without tremendous headaches, the program automatically inserting ridiculous tempos, or accidentally mauling my work up while trying to sync/resync/get the music to actually START with the drill.

Any hints/experiences that would make this smoother? Such as, perhaps, how to actually get the "Move" button to "move" the start of the set to match the audio file, for starters? (It does nothing, at the moment.)

Developers, would you consider looking at more options (such as being able to manually tap in the tempo count-by-count for sections where it mis-estimates the tempo of the file, or not letting the program take away the option to manually enter the tempo/number of counts when an audio file has been "synced" improperly?)

I am using OSX 10.9.5, EnV 1.7.12.

Thanks!
box5Nick

Re: Syncing music

Post by box5Nick »

Hi Matthew, I'm sure sure I can give you a few tips to make the process easier. We have a number of ideas on how we want to develop the sync tool in the future, certainly addressing the issues you have pointed out, but for now, let's focus on the current tool.

The best practice when using sync music is to simply lay out your downbeats for each set. Yes the tempo and counts might be off, but as long as you are hitting the downbeat on time everything will work out. Make sure that if you go back to listen to it after syncing that you use the "lock sets" button so as not to overwrite any set information. Left clicking the timeline lets you start recording or listening from any point, which is useful for punching in and out to fix up any errors.

the Move button only lines up set 1 with the very beginning of the audio file.

Once you have the downbeats set up you are done with the sync tool, and should only really need it if you want to replace the audio file with an updated version. The sets will show up in the timeline as you add new sets to the show. Each time you add a new set, use the 'Set Properties' tool (in the tool bar, or just double click the flag on the timeline) to adjust the number of counts in that set. Currently a new set will, by default, uses the same number of counts as the previous set.

You also have some fine tuning options in the bottom left corner. Of particular interest here will be the 'lock timeline' button. With this button off as well as 'Adjust all Following Sets' off you can click and drag any of the set flags to fine tune its placement. Note that when you turn off the lock, the flag seems to change position. Really it is aligning itself with the actual downbeat (or count 1) of the set, whereas in practice a set is most commonly reached on the last count of the previous set.

I hope this clears up a few issues for you. If not just ask more questions and we will keep at it.

Nick
matthew

Re: Syncing music

Post by matthew »

Thank you! That definitely clears up some of how to use the sync music window for me.