Flip Drill Over One Axis

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
Bro

Flip Drill Over One Axis

Post by Bro »

Hi, I started working on some drill stuff today and after making a bunch of sets I realized I made it all backwards, so the band would be playing to the back stands. Rotating the drill 180 degrees flips it left and right as well, so is there any way I can flip the drill just front to back? Or any way the process could be faster than me manually moving every individual performer?
William

Re: Flip Drill Over One Axis

Post by William »

Hi Bro,

I don't really understand the comment about rotating the drill causing it to be flipped left-right. If you are on the back sideline and facing the field then what's on your left will still be on your left if you rotate it 180 degrees and then stand on the front sideline.

Besides that there aren't any perfect solutions for you here. You can use the orange marbles to flip the dots front-back but it is imprecise for something like this and there is a chance that the dots will get adjusted incorrectly. You could also just rename the front and back/left and right field names and write the whole show backwards.
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.29.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.29.47 PM.png (131.64 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
You might also have to adjust the grid depth to match the back sideline, depending on which canvas preset you are using.
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.30.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.30.30 PM.png (62.96 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

I second the requested feature request. The very old drill program I used before moving to Envision had the ability flip the selected performers horizontally or vertically via a menu selection or shortcut key combo. This is very handy when trying to create forms that are symmetrical either across the entire field, or to just a have a small form that I want mirrored horizontally or vertically.

Having the ability to flip selected performers OR selected groups horizontally or vertically would be very useful.
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

I see the new features to address this in v1.8.21. Thanks William and team!
William

Post by William »

bjindrich et al.

You beat me to the punch! Yes, this comment finally pushed me to add these features in v1.8.21. You can see the release notes here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7&p=15129#p15129.

Please let me know if you find anything strange with the new behavior.

Happy flipping!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

William, as I've tried using the flip, I am running into some issues where the form or selected performers are not properly "mirrored". I am focusing on completing drill this month, so if you need a sample sent to reproduce the issue, I probably won't be able to send anything until September.
William

Post by William »

Hi bjindrich,

I did quite a bit of testing and everything seemed to be working as expected. Are there specific scenarios where it is not working as expected? Maybe with a certain form or collection of forms?

The Block form needed extra consideration so if that is the issue there might be something wrong with the implementation.

You should also note that the flip happens around the averaged center of all the points being flipped, not necessarily the center marble.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

Emailing you an example, William. Perhaps I misunderstand. I thought flipping is possible for either selected Performers OR selected Forms.

In what I email you, the Forms do not flip as expected, but when clicking on the forms to select all performers in the form (i.e. in Performer selection mode) I think the flipping seems to work properly,

Should selected Forms be flippable or just selected Performers? I thought I saw selected Forms flipping properly, but now I'm not sure.
William

Post by William »

Hi bjindrich,

I received your email and I have confirmed the issue. I have also fixed the issue.

It turns out that the flip logic wasn't correctly implemented for Curve type forms. I have resolved the issue and it will be available in the next update.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software