Saving Uniforms and Rosters

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
jkivel

Saving Uniforms and Rosters

Post by jkivel »

Good Morning -

I'm on a steep learning curve after teaching middle school (no marching band) for 25 years, but I'm catching on to the software, and I think it's a big help. I have a couple questions for you:

For my pre-game show, I created a uniform that looks marginally like our school uniform. When I started working on my halftime show, I can see the uniform in the drop down menu with my name on it, but I'm not allowed to select it.

Similarly, the only way that I know to start a new drill design is with the process that begins with "add 6 trumpets, add 6 trombones . . ." Is there a way to save my band? Like "LCHS2019" so that the roster (and uniforms) are ready to go???

Thanks -
John Kivel
Lumen Christi Catholic School
Jackson MI
William

Re: Saving Uniforms and Rosters

Post by William »

Hi John,

I'm glad you're enjoying using EnVision for the most part. Let's see if we can answer your questions.

Uniform selection:
You say that you can see the uniform that you created in the drop down menu but that you can't select it. I have a couple of questions regarding this.
  1. I assume this means that you were able to select it and use it in your pre-game show?
  2. Which drop down menu are you seeing the uniform? i.e. which tool are you using where you see this list? You can select a uniform from multiple places including the Performance Detail tool and the Performer Editor (Performer menu).
  3. What makes you think you can't select it? Is it greyed out or disabled?
Band Roster (Ensemble):
You can save and load an ensemble so using the same group in multiple productions is easy, but the Uniform is not saved with it, it needs to be applied to the performers when creating a new show. There are a couple of ways to do this:
Saving your Ensemble (Show Manager):
  1. Have a production open with the ensemble that you want to save.
  2. Open the Show Manager, it is the tool to the right of the redo button, or open it from the File menu.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the tool and find the "Ensemble (Performer Metadata)" section.
  4. Save the current ensemble by pressing the "Save" button and choosing a location and a file name for your ensemble. This will save in ".json" format, which is a text-based structured format.
Loading your Ensemble from Show Manager:
This will create NEW performers in the current production. You can do this at any point but it should really only be done only on new productions.
  1. Start a new show.
  2. Open the Show Manager as in the steps above.
  3. Scroll down to the "Ensemble (Performer Metadata)" section.
  4. Press "Load". Find the file you want to load and press Open.
  5. Your ensemble will be loaded and new performers will populate the Bullpen in the back left corner of the canvas.
Loading your Ensemble from the Wizard:
  1. From the Welcome menu on startup, or open the Wizard from the File menu.
  2. Select "Start a new Show"
  3. Work your way through the Wizard until you get to the "Ensemble" screen.
  4. Select the "Load" button under the "Current Ensemble" section on the right.
  5. Find and open your previously saved Ensemble file as above.
  6. Your ensemble will populate the "Current Ensemble" section and will be created when the Wizard is completed.
Let me know about the Uniform issue and I'll see if I can help resolve it.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
jkivel

Re: Saving Uniforms and Rosters

Post by jkivel »

Thanks, the roster side seems to have helped.

The uniform has disappeared completely, the name is still there, but the uniform has reverted to the pre-set blue one. For awhile it was completely black, now it's back to the pre-set.

I'm going to start the process of re-creating the uniform.

weird.