Missing Performer Labels in Print Mode

Report bugs or glitches here.
dgwallac

Missing Performer Labels in Print Mode

Post by dgwallac »

Hey,

In print mode my performer labels are not showing up. This is only in print mode. Toggle Labels is off. Never had this issue before. Any ideas? See attachment. Really need to get this fixed before Monday!

Thanks!
Attachments
Missing.jpg
Missing.jpg (212.36 KiB) Viewed 17356 times
dgwallac

Re: Missing Performer Labels in Print Mode

Post by dgwallac »

Restarting the program fixed the issue.
William

Post by William »

Hi dgwallac,

I'm glad you got it working again. This seems like it might be the same as another issue I've seen recently but the resolution was different so I'm not sure.

It seems like a recent update changed the default font size on Windows. You can put them back to a normal size by using the Performer label tool. You can open it from the Performer menu or from the toolbar, but make sure you have at least 1 performer selected. Once you're in there you can change the "Label Font" which will allow you to change the size of the font as well. Try setting it to something like 12 or 14 which should be a good size.

Let me know if that works for you.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

I'm going to add to this conversation regarding labels.

First, I did see the the default label font is now super tiny. I'm pretty sure that's different than a year ago.

Next, I think I reported this a while ago, but for me, changing label fonts still does not persist with the drill file. In other words, if I change the label font, save the file, close the file and open the file, the label fonts always revert to the default. This isn't a super big deal, BUT it's a minor stress point during crunch time, trying to get charts sent out and you need to always remember to change the label font before printing the charts. I'm on Windows 10.

And last, I think this is also new within the last year: when using the "Save PDF" option to save charts to PDF, the label positions are offset and not located where they should be - it's not WYSIWYG compared to what I see on the screen, and the labels are offset enough where "Save PDF" doesn't produce a useable file to send - the labels so carefully placed end up not where I want. So, I'll flag this as a bug, and again, I think this bug is new since a year ago. I can send screenshots if necessary to demonstrate this bug if desired.

To work around thig bug, I Print the charts and select the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer option to produce a PDF. The labels a rendered correctly when sending the charts to PDF this way, BUT the PDF file that is produced is much larger. I just sent 16 charts, and the PDF is 16Mb (yes, 1MB per chart), while the "Save PDF" for the same 16 charts in under 300k. If there are any ideas on how to reduce the PDF size when sending charts to PDF, I'd appreciate it. Sending LARGE files via email has some limitations at times - some emails apps have file size limitations for uploaded files, and some schools limit the file size upload/download sizes, too.
William

Post by William »

Hi bjindrich,

I think I have fixes for the font and printing issues in EnVision. Can you install this file and see if things are working for you?

EnVision_Update_v1.8.22.xxx.exe
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
William

Post by William »

I have released a new version: v1.8.23 which should address all these issues. Please let me know if there are more.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

William wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:05 pm Hi bjindrich,

I think I have fixes for the font and printing issues in EnVision. Can you install this file and see if things are working for you?

EnVision_Update_v1.8.22.xxx.exe
Hi William, I have v1.8.25 and after some quick testing (on Windows 10), it looks like 1) label fonts are now properly saving and loading, and 2) Save PDF for charts is displaying labels the expected (WYSIWYG) locations in the PDF - this makes a huge difference: for my current drill (50 charts so far), printing charts to Microsoft's PDF printer results in a 10Mb PDF file, and the Save to PDF for all charts results in a 600k PDF.

If I see any anomalies I'll report them.

Thanks for the update!
William

Post by William »

Great! I'm glad the updates are working for you.

For reference, the reason that the Microsoft PDF printer (and similar functionality on Macs) provides such a high file size is because they are saving the document as an image, which has to be high resolution to get all the fine detail. Whereas the internal PDF generator uses the in-built PDF specification to draw each element as a vector object, including the text, which allows us to save huge amounts of disk space.

Thank you for your patience with this issue.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software